Friday, September 10, 2010

I fell off my shoes.......very impressive.

I used to be a Regional Manager for a large company. Once a year we were flown to the company headquarters for a weekend of meetings, etc. My boss called me on the phone prior to one of these meetings and suggested that I find ways to "rise above the crowd". Well, what do you say to that except, "Ok". So, during the meetings I tried to chime in with timely and wise commentary and practical solutions to problems. I tried not to talk too much though , because in keeping a bit silent, one can actually appear more wise than one really is. This is EXTREMELY difficult for me because I love to talk and coffee clatch and be "real" with people......and I already had more responsibility than all of these other managers at the meeting...and everyone already knew it. Nonetheless, I tried my best to be impressive. Well, it just so happened that all of the managers at this meeting were female...and, shock.......during a break we all ended up in the shoe department of Nordstroms.

I am actually pretty tall to begin with......I do not believe that there is such a thing as "too tall" (plus I like to tower over other women.....yup......it's probably a subliminal power thing".) So, of course I adore high heels........in fact, even my "flip flops" used to be on high wedges.

As we shopped in a group, our conversation was artificial and cautious. If someone tried on a pair of shoes everyone gushed how wonderful they looked........AUGH ! Yuk ! So, I wandered away from the gaggle and tried on a pair of very high, wedged flip flops. To show them off I sached over to the group to model them (and to probably make them feel short and stubby)........and that's when it happened, just as I called out to them, I turned my ankle on a piece of Nordstroms carpet and wiped out onto the floor, spread eagle....laughing hysterically ......... Yeah, I am sure that's just what my boss had in mind..........
Open Latte.........hehe

No comments:

Post a Comment