Monday, October 4, 2010

Pretending to listen.....busted !

Entranced in the ritual preparation of taking a soothing bubble bath, happily dumping containers of bubble bath, fragrant oils and all kinds of girly stuff into the froth, my husband walked into the bedroom. He was telling me about his day (he's a tennis pro.....so,it's usually tennis, tennis, tennis.......that evening he was telling me something about an important national tennis tournament that he was playing in). Unfortunately for him, I wasn't really listening. No, I focused on how much hot water I was putting into the bathtub.....too many times in the past I'd accidentally let the hot water run lukewarm, which totally ruins the chance of a successful bubble bath. Yet, trying to be a wonderful and attentive wife, I pretended to pay attention to what my husband was saying and asked my him a few questions about his tennis match........half listening I heard him say something about playing Doubles with Phil....and something about Singles. To continue my charade I responded, "oh, that's nice, you'll be playing Doubles with Phil, yeah, he's super.......and you'll be playing Singles by yourself, yeah, that's a good plan, that should work." As I dipped my toes into the perfectly prepared bubble bath elixir and settled my bottom into the tub, he walked into the bathroom...... he was grinning....."Oh, he said, "do you really think I have much of a chance playing singles by myself ?" Still on blonde auto pilot I answered, "yes, you're a really good singles player, you should be fine by yourself.......". Sinking down to my chin in bubbles, my brain thawed out and the wheels began to turn.......giggling ...and coughing up bubbles.....I realized what I'd just said......I was busted for not listening. "Singles.......yeah, ya generally don't need a partner for S-I-N-G-L-E-S, that's why they call it singles ! Open Latte.

No comments:

Post a Comment